On January 22, 1954, the Greater Tampa Chamber of Commerce hosted a special meeting at the Tampa Terrace Hotel for more than 200 business executives. They had thought of a new way to support the economic growth of the budding Tampa area: pay an additional $100 in dues each year to finance increased promotional efforts for the community.
The Committee of 100 would drive expansion and economic progress for decades under some of the most visionary leaders in the area.
That is until 55 years and 9 months later on October 22, 2009.
The Greater Tampa Chamber of Commerce’s Board of Directors announced the launch of a new era in economic development in Hillsborough County. This new, independent organization, the Tampa Hillsborough Economic Development Corporation, would allow both organizations to focus on separate yet complementary missions to create a better Tampa and Hillsborough County in which to live, work, and do business.
With nearly 100 founding Investors, the Tampa Hillsborough EDC pushed forward with reorganized leadership and redefined priorities, ready to build a bigger future on the strong foundation of the past.