For more information about the local life sciences industry, please contact:
LIFE SCIENCES & HEALTH CARE
The Tampa area has emerged as a driving force behind the state’s fast-growing life sciences industry with more than 5,400 life sciences and health care companies employing more than 80,000. Over the next five years, the life sciences and healthcare industries will see a combined projected growth of more than 20% in Hillsborough County.
In recent years, globally renowned corporations such as Bristol-Myers Squibb, Johnson & Johnson, Amgen, and Pfizer have chosen Hillsborough County as sites for major North American operations. They join local institutions such as Moffitt Cancer Center, LifeLink, and Lion’s Eye Institute in contributing to Tampa’s growing reputation for research and development.
The area has also attracted medical research and life sciences companies like Axogen, Morphogenesis, and Vycellix, which are producing innovative solutions and developing effective treatments for various diseases. These companies join a stellar list of life sciences companies already in the area with specialties ranging from global operations, R&D, and advanced manufacturing.
- Tampa is home to 14 percent of Florida’s biotech companies
- Tampa is home to 22 percent of the state’s pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing workforce
- Tampa General Hospital, recognized as one of America’s Best Hospitals in six specialties by U.S. News & World Report and one of the busiest transplant centers in the nation, recently performed its 10,000th transplant
- Moffitt Cancer Center has been recognized as a top rated cancer hospital in the nation by U.S. News & World Report since 1999, and is Florida’s only Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Top sectors: medical equipment manufacturing, medical diagnostic laboratories, scientific research and development, pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing
- Leading employers: Amgen, Axogen, Bausch & Lomb, Bristol Myers Squibb, Florida Blue, Johnson & Johnson, LifeLink, Lions Eye Institute, M2Gen, Moffitt Cancer Center, Morphogenesis, Pfizer, Quest Diagnostics, Ultimate Medical Academy
I think the community, and the region at large, are going to benefit significantly from our ability to collaborate and innovate faster. We’re not only getting closer geographically, but we’re collaborating in ways we haven’t collaborated in the last 40 years around medical science, new programs and new services. It’s an exciting time.
– John Couris, president and CEO, Tampa General Hospital (speaking to TGH’s partnership with USF and the impact of moving the medical school to downtown Tampa
Moffitt Cancer Center and Tampa General Hospital recognized among best hospital rankings
U.S. NEWS & WORLD REPORT