For more information about the local life sciences industry, please contact:
LIFE SCIENCES & HEALTH CARE
The Tampa area has emerged as a driving force behind the state’s fast-growing life sciences industry with more than 3,000 life sciences and health care companies employing more than 92,000 in Hillsborough County. With disruptive breakthroughs in research, devices, simulation and personalized medicine, our community is changing the DNA of health care.
In recent years, globally renowned corporations such as Bristol-Myers Squibb, Johnson & Johnson, and Amgen, have joined local institutions such as Moffitt Cancer Center, LifeLink and Lion’s Eye Institute, in contributing to Tampa’s growing reputation for research and development.
- Tampa is home to 14 percent of Florida’s biotech companies
- Tampa is home to 22 percent of the state’s pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing workforce
- Tampa General Hospital, recognized as one of America’s Best Hospitals in six specialties by U.S. News & World Report and one of the busiest transplant centers in the nation, recently performed its 10,000th transplant
- Moffitt Cancer Center has been recognized as a top rated cancer hospital in the nation by U.S. News & World Report since 1999, and is Florida’s only Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Top sectors: medical equipment manufacturing, medical diagnostic laboratories, scientific research and development, pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing
- Leading employers: Amgen, Bausch & Lomb, Bristol Myers Squibb, Florida Blue, Johnson & Johnson, LifeLink, Lions Eye Institute, M2Gen, Moffitt Cancer Center, Quest Diagnostics, Ultimate Medical Academy
“I am very confident we have all the elements we need to be successful in growing our life science industry. We are fortunate to have some big pharma presence such as Bristol Myers Squibb, Amgen and Johnson & Johnson. I think they are going to be very important in the future for helping to grow this industry.”
– Dr. Alan List, president and CEO, Moffitt Cancer Center